How are you? No, really—how are you feeling? When was the last time someone asked you that, and your immediate response was not the classic “I’m so busy”? If it’s been a while, you’re not alone. And part of the problem is a lack of rest.
It’s a phenomenon we’re all too familiar with: the constant hustle, the never-ending to-do lists, and the feeling that if we’re not busy, we’re not doing enough. Burnout among millennial women is skyrocketing, and it’s time we took a closer look at why we wear our busyness as a badge of honor.
I get it—slowing down seems like an impossible feat, especially when we live in a culture that glorifies productivity. But there’s more to it than just the hectic schedules and overwhelming tasks. There are deeper reasons, often rooted in our families of origin and ingrained patterns that have been shaping our lives for years.
In today’s heart-to-heart, let’s dive into five reasons you might find it hard to hit the pause button. These are not the usual suspects; these are the hidden culprits that have been silently influencing us since childhood. Understanding them is the first step toward breaking free from the cycle of busyness.
Five Reasons You Might Struggle to Rest:
- Keeping busy is a great distraction – Whether it’s conscious or not, busyness can be a form of coping or avoidance.
- Being taught that you have to earn rest or that resting is laziness – The way you were raised to think about rest affects the way you view rest as an adult.
- Never learning how to rest – Rest may not have ever been modeled for you. If you never saw your caregivers resting, it’s natural that you wouldn’t know how to do it on your own.
- Believing that your worthiness and value is tied to your productivity – It’s easy to feel like if we don’t get stuff done, we don’t have value.
- Living with a false sense of urgency – When we’re on high alert and activated, we get an insincere feeling of urgency about things that truly don’t need to get done right now.
These reasons might not be easy to confront, but when we know better, we can do better. It’s time to rewrite the narrative around rest, redefine success, and let go of the busyness badge. Join me in breaking free from the cycle of busyness and embracing a life filled with balance, joy, and well-deserved moments of peace.
Remember, you are not alone on this journey. Let’s support each other, celebrate our victories, and embrace the beauty of slowing down.
Have a question you’d love Michelle to answer on the podcast? “Ask Michelle a Question.” Click this link, record your message, hit send, and I’ll answer it in a future episode!