New Year’s resolutions are like that holiday fruitcake – full of good intentions but rarely sticking around for long? I’ve been steering clear of them for years, and let me share why, along with my game-changing alternative that has transformed my life for the better over the last 5 years.
Here are 5 reasons why New Year’s resolutions just don’t cut it:
- High Intentions, Low Success Rates: We all start the year with grand intentions, but research shows that only a meager 8% of people actually achieve their New Year’s goals. Talk about a rough stat. We become overambitious at the beginning of the new year. Fueled by holiday cheer, we set goals that are often too ambitious, leaving us feeling like failures when life gets in the way of our already hectic schedules.
- Lack of Specific Plan: Resolutions often lack a concrete plan, making it tough to navigate through the daily challenges without a road map. Accountability? That’s usually MIA.
- Ignoring Our Bandwidth: Adding something new without considering the toll it takes on our mental and emotional health is a recipe for disaster. Life doesn’t magically get easier on January 1st!
- All-or-Nothing Mentality: The “all or nothing” mindset can lead to discouragement and abandonment of goals at the slightest deviation, leaving us feeling defeated and stuck.
- Behavior Change Takes Time: Have you ever started a workout program and been frustrated when you don’t see results after the first week? We want instant gratification. True changes to our behavior take time, both to unlearn the bad behaviors and replace them with good ones.
Now, let me spill the tea on what I’ve been doing instead – and it’s a game-changer!
My Secret Sauce: Words of the Year 🌈
Choosing a word of the year has been my go-to strategy, and let me tell you, it’s pure magic. No more rigid resolutions – just a powerful mantra shaping my thoughts, decisions, and actions every single day for 365 days.
For example, my word for 2023 was “joy.” Did I feel joyful 24/7? Definitely not. But by consistently integrating joy into my life, I noticed a positive trend and released the all-or-nothing thinking. It’s about progress, not perfection!
And for 2024, my word is “rest.” After years of going full throttle, I’m committing to doing less better and intentionally resting in God’s promises. Each month, I sit down and plan how I’ll weave rest into my life – setting boundaries, asking for help, and letting go of things that don’t align with my word.
This approach is transformative, allowing me to rewire my brain and make lasting changes over time. It’s a journey, not a sprint – and I’m all in for the big, intentional work ahead.
So, here’s to a year of transformation, one intentional word at a time! What’s your word for 2024, and how will you make it a reality in your life?
Have a question you’d love Michelle to answer on the podcast? “Ask Michelle a Question.” Click this link, record your message, hit send, and I’ll answer it in a future episode!